Tuesday, March 29, 2011

PATA what??

NEW DISH ALERT:  Okay so I have pretty much heard it all, I mean I read a culinary dictionary for fun for foodsakes!  Or at least I thought I had until a couple weekends ago when I came across the assertive yet delightful...

Patacon Sandwich dun dun dun.... Have you heard of it before? I had not and I had a great time deconstructing its contents and eating it.  Let me take you down the path of exploring this very creative and downright likable sandwich.  Of Venezuelan descent it is a local favorite for a late night or any time hunger pangs and is offered in numerous roadside stands.  Luckily for me, I only had to drive to Mesa, Az to get my first taste.  Instead of bread, large slices of freshly fried plantain slices are used to hold the luscious and juicy contents.  At My Arepa http://www.myarepa.com/  we tried the patacon, a shredded pork arepa, fried sweet plantains and the short rib beef soup.  By far the patacon was the star. 

We got the "supreme version" which has succulent and moist mildly spicy but oh so flavorful shredded pork, crunchy coleslaw, a pink sauce (mayo with a little ketchup mixed in) and a very happy and healthy portion of thick sliced avocado.  Some shredded chicken and fresh queso finishes the masterpiece.  The plantain slices were perfect width and thickness so the sandwich did not fall apart when you bit into it, but not too thick to where it takes over the sandwich.  When you bite it you taste the lightly sweet plantain flavor and then the richness of the pork.  The coleslaw provides a nice contrast and coolness to the warm meat while the sauce, queso and buttery avocado finish and round out the the little party in your mouth.  You wipe your mouth because the sauce is all over the place or if you are like me wait a couple bites so you don't use 100 napkins. 

Because the plantains do not absorb that well, it can be a bit messy, but it is very much worth it. I mean look at the sandwich! Crazily enough, I did not personally order the patacon when we went so I was sneaking bites (and sideways glances) and harboring my food envy.  What more can I say?? Go find your nearest Venezuelan gem!  I would love to hear about your patacon experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment